Spring Update

We wanted to drop a quick update about what’s been going on since our last post.

We’ve gotten a huge amount of interest in our system from all over the world, from places like South America, Africa, India, Japan, and Hawaii. The sheer amount of intents to order we’ve received has only bolstered our determination to work as hard as possible to deliver an amazing product. Because of these order requests, however, we’ve reached a sort of crossroads where we can move in one of two directions.

Right now, we have our pre-production version of our system which is what we listed on our Kickstarter. The parts for these systems can be ordered quickly, but require a lot of manual labor and do not reflect our final production version of our system. Our final design has always, since the conception of Tenkiv, been intended to be assembled by automated machines on a large scale. While the Kickstarter version is only slightly less efficient than our final design, we at Tenkiv are perfectionists and want to produce the best quality work possible. We’re now at a time where we are getting enough orders to justify making a single, large bulk order of our production version of our collectors (which would require our manufacturer to modify one of their assembly lines), but this would take longer than just ordering the parts for our Kickstarter orders and getting them out as quickly as possible. Waiting for our assembly line to be finalized would, in addition to putting us in a better position to accept more orders and expand our scope to the next level, give our customers and supporters a better final collector than if we assembled them by hand.

It’s certainly a decision we’d like to discuss with our customers and supporters. If you have any comments, please either respond to this blog post on our forums or send us an e-mail and tell us what you think!

In addition to our production decisions, we’ve also been attending some marketing events in order to bolster our brand recognition and scope out potential interest. Tenkiv presented at Sacramento’s Entrepreneurship Showcase Accelerator demo day, the 2017 CleanStart PowerUp event, Million Cups, the Bright Minds Challenge, and Cleantech Open.

We’ve also started a vlog to make it easier to follow our progress. Take a look and be sure to tell us what you think! We’re always looking for ways to improve, and your opinions mean a lot to us.

Tenkiv will also be traveling to Germany in early May to meet with our manufacturer and discuss logistics. The ball is already rolling for our production panels, and we have some really exciting potential partnerships that we might be able to announce in the coming months. Keep an eye on our various social media feeds & vlog to keep up to date with the latest Tenkiv news.

Follow Tenkiv on:

Any comments? Don’t hesitate to speak your mind! Post responses to this blog post below.

Not quite sure what large scale changes must take place. If its just welding the areas/bends/plumbing that were previously formed with couplings then I’d personally prefer the couplings as it would be more serviceable (although more prone to leaking/failure)

If its bulk ordering the vacuum pumps or something to that effect then we are all better off taking the delay and getting a closer to production version. I guess it depends on how its planning to be used. My personal use for this is probably going to take the form of being output into a buffer tank for my solar hot water heater and a more feasible hot tub heater…but someone who is using it to distill their own drinking water might have a higher priority for finishing quickly than that.

I suppose there is a third concern of shipping practicality…more complete assemblies will probably be more trouble to ship out.

I am sorry for the late response. I was supposed to be answering these questions but our notification system wasn’t sending me notifications that there were unanswered questions. We just fixed the notifications so I finally got notified.

It’s a bit hard to explain fully but the issues are these:

The full production absorber panels have the support pin passthrough holes resistance welded one the assembly line. The pre production version has the absorber panels laser drilled and welded by hand after the automated assembly line. Though all the absorbers will be leak tested prior to assembly the hand work makes them less consistent than the automated assembly version.

The fittings on the pre production panels are hand welded, brazed, or silver soldered on, while the production panels will have the fittings laser welded. Again, the production version is likely to be more consistent.

HI, Bill,

Why does the welding have to be done by hand after the automated assembly line. Should we be able to CNC that standard step correct?